The Java Software Engineer role will be a key one for the SGD Product Engineering team. Reporting to the Development Lead, the Software Engineer will be working alongside other Software Engineers, Project Managers, QA, Software Architects, and Product Owners in order to shape and implement the technology and product deliverables that will drive forward strategic product deliverables.
There will be a mixture of small, but strategically significant projects, and also large scale complex programs of work, all delivered in an Agile format with direction from Product Management, but with delivery via a tightly contained team focused on quality deliverables across the platform.
These are just some of the tasks you may work on:
- Review and refactor existing code with the aim of improving Product robustness and performance
- Development of both fixes and new features for Product Engineering products and services, including the production of unit tests as and where required;
- Ensuring code quality is maintained at a high level for products and services delivered by the team the Software Engineer is working with;
- Understanding of solutions architecture and design, including KPI definition;
- Ability to input into planning sessions for sprint planning and sprint retrospectives;
- Escalate issues in areas of material improvement, notably around performance, security and scalability.
If you are the right Java Software Engineer for us you will be able to demonstrate:
- A Bachelor's degree in a traditional science subject, ideally computer science, engineering or information systems from a well regarded university;
- At least 18 months’ experience developing commercial Enterprise Java applications;
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to peer groups;
- Excellent teamwork skills within a scrum team environment
- Able to deal with changing priorities within a large programme;
- Able to take direction from senior team members including, BA’s QA’s and software architects;
- A good understanding of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate etc.)
- Demonstrable experience in developing for large distributed systems, for example using (preferably) DDD or SOA and ideally also a central ‘broker’ (such as Kafka or an ESB).
It would also be great to see these skills/experiences as well:
- Some experience in use of Akka, Kafka, Spring Boot.
- Experience in the use of Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, and Git (BitBucket).
- Experience with cloud providers, ideally AWS.
Why would you enjoy working with us at SG Digital?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow
- Tangible and genuine development - at SGD, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy a stunning work location and flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.