1. Contribute to the planning and implementation of the programme of work of the Secretariat related to the effective functioning of the Compliance Committee of the Barcelona Convention and its Protocols.
This includes the timely preparation of pre-session, in-session and post-session documents as well as supporting the Committee on the implementation and follow up of its decisions.
Provide support to Contracting in the timely submission of their biannual report on legal, administrative and other measures to implement the Convention and its protocols and the decisions of the meetings of the Contracting Parties.
3. Draft the biannual regional report on the status of the legal and institutional aspects of the implementation of the Barcelona convention and its Protocols and the decisions of the Contracting Parties meeting.
ensure the flow of official correspondence between Member States and UNEP / MAP on relevant legal issues.
5. Undertake legal research and draft briefing notes and legal opinions and provide advice on legal developments in other related global and regional environmental conventions with a view to securing synergies in the implementation of related instruments.
6. Provide support to Contracting parties to facilitate the implementation, as appropriate, of Liability and Compensation Guidelines and the respective reporting system.
7. Provide any other legal support required by the Secretariat for the implementation of its programme of work in coordination with relevant head-quarter units.
8. Contribute to the planning, implementation and monitoring of the programme of work and budget of UNEP / MAP on governance and legal matters.
9. Carry out other related duties as may be assigned including assisting in the preparation of the main UNEP / MAP decision-making bodies.
PROFESSIONALISM : Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents.
Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues.
Knowledge of the civil law and / or common law legal systems and principles. Ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely.
Ability to draft legal papers and work under pressure. Ability to apply good legal judgment in the context of assignments given.
remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Public International Law or International Environmental Law or related area is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in environmental international law development and implementation, including compliance and enforcement is required.
At least three (3) years of work experience in international organizations and / or government service in the above areas is desirable.
Experience of inter-governmental negotiating processes related to environmental treaties in the Mediterranean and or global level is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (oral and written) is required.
Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE : "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.